Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Easter Bunny Came Early


Most of it you've seen before - but notice something a little different in the corner? No - I haven't switched over; it's just some mock caviar!

Bunny Face:
Nori
Japanese Sticky Rice
Vegan Ham
Sakura Denbu (as a filling)

I used a ramekin and made the face just as I did with the heart-shaped onigiri and shaped it into an oval. Then I made the set of ears individually using the "L" fingers to make the ears fit more. Then I slid a toothpick half-way into each once and slid it into one side of the bunny head. After the ears were in place I cut the nori into the shapes I wanted. I had to cut the bottom of the nori first, then the whole square out before shaping it for the mouth. After that was stuck in place I cut out a triangular piece of vegan ham and stuck it onto the middle of her adorable face. The rest of the rice was mixed with some chlorophyll to make it green and surrounded the bunny.

The flower has a piece of vegan ham in the middle and is some sakura denbu mixed with some more sticky rice. I wrapped it up tightly and used to opposite edge of a sharp knife to make the little petals, then I sprinkled it with some sesame oil and some sesame seeds as well. I placed it in the corner and went to work on my sushi.

Vegan Caviar/Fish Roe:
1/2 - 1 Cup of Small Tapioca Pearls
1/4 a Cup of Beet Juice
1/4 Cup of Dulse
1 Sheet of Nori
Enough Cold Water to cover them

Optional:
Sea Salt
Sesame Oil

Mix the ingredients together and cover them with the water, then wait for about an hour for the tapioca pearls to soak up some water. Then, transfer them to a small sauce-pot over medium-heat and keep a cup of water handy. Once the pearls start to gel up and the mixture starts to solidify, add more water. Cook the mixture for about 30 minutes and continue to add more water if it solidifies.

After about 30 minutes, turn off the heat and put the tapioca pearls in a strainer while running plenty of cold water onto them. Once you've decided that it has been enough, transfer the pearls to a small bowl and sprinkle them with some sea salt if you like and add them to some sushi. The sushi was simply leftover rice wrapped tightly in nori and cut into small slices (wet your knife after each slice), then top with the caviar.


Enjoy!

Signed,
<3 Bou Shin <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...