Thursday, April 21, 2011

Vegan Sakura Denbu


I never really liked denbu, but I've always loved the color so I decided to make it. Since I constantly make bentos I thought that I could check and see if there were any recipes but to my surprise none of them have been veganized! This was no mere challenge for me, however, as I had to get pretty near perfect for it to even be near the original denbu (made with fishy-bits). I think I succeeded - but it just so happens to be your opinion that matters to me.


(Vegan Sakura Denbu Ingredients)

  • Half a package of Extra-Firm Tofu (frozen and defrosted twice)
  • 2-3 tbl Canned Beet Juice
  • 1/2-3/4 tsp of Iodized Salt
  • 1 and a half tbl Granulated Sugar (vegan brand)
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp Mirin
  • A few bits of Nori

(Directions)
  • Take the tofu out and rip it with your hands once it has defrosted, then place it in the food processor and give it about three short runs.
  • Take that out and squeeze it with a cheese cloth until the moisture is completely gone, then cover with the rest of the ingredients and mix them gently with a pair of chopsticks. Let it rest for about an hour or until the flavor and color have completely soaked into the tofu.
  • Then, ring it out a touch more (not too much or the color might run out) and mix with your rice and make anything you like with it.
  • Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. The next time I go to the store I'll try making another version of the sakura denbu if you prefer a different texture. :)

    Please, if you visit my site - feel free to comment or pass it on to friends.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...