Saturday, September 15, 2012

Asian "Fig Newtons" with Golden Milk (Guest Posted on Veganosaurus)




When I was a little girl my favorite cookie to eat was always a Fig Newton (actually, the whole pack...) but as I slowly became more health conscious I lost touch with these soft pillows of tasty goodness. I don't believe that either Newtons can be considered "healthy", but when I decided to take a spin on two of my favorite treats (Fig Newtons and Dadar Gulung, a pandan crepe stuffed with coconut) I was instantly happy. There are two ways to make these treats and to gobble them down with, I've provided some delicious and silky, smooth golden milk.

Thanks to Susmitha of Veganosaurus, I could post these and spread them to a whole new audience. I am honored to have guest posted on your blog! ^^








(Dadar Gulung Newton Filling Ingredients)

  • 4 large Dates, minced (or Date Paste)
  • 1/4 cup of Unsweetened, Toasted Coconut
  • 1 tsp of Raw Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp Clementine Zest
  • A mix of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cardamom and Allspice
  • 1/2 tsp of Virgin Coconut Oil

Toast all of your dry ingredients together, let them cool partially and then add in your coconut oil. Set aside and make the dough.


(Dadar Gulung Pastry Ingredients)

  • 1 cup of Oat Flour
  • 1/2 cup of White Whole Wheat
  • 4 tbl of All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 tsp of Raw Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp of Baking Powder (omit if you want them crunchy like I did)
  • 2 tbl of Virgin Coconut Oil (semi-solid)
  • About 3 tsp of Pandan Extract
  • Enough Coconut Cream to Mix

Mix your dry ingredients together first, then fork in your coconut oil. Dribble in your pandan extract and coconut cream, then knead your dough until it becomes a smooth ball. Refrigerate for 15 minutes and reminisce about your childhood in the meantime. Roll out to your preferred thinness, taking mind that this will puff up only slightly, and then put your coconut filling in the middle. Pinch your sides up and moisten lightly with the leftover coconut cream, then roll onto the newly formed seam and cut even pieces from your dough log (which should be a rectangle by now). Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until cooked to your liking and serve with golden milk


They look like mini-burritos, don't they? If you have any extra dough you can roll it in some chocolate chips and bake for the same amount of time, or you can make a fantastic and pretty healthy pie crust. Better yet - you could make straws to sip your golden milk with (they stay crunchy) or a variation on cannollis with a coconut cream topping!


(Golden Milk Ingredients)

  • 1 cup of Non-Dairy Milk
  • 1/2 tsp of Turmeric
  • 1 tbl of Raw Sugar or Agave Nectar
  • Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Allspice and Cloves (to taste)

Warm all of your ingredients together and strain, let cool and strain if necessary.


Thanks for visiting my post and many thanks to Susmitha for hosting me! I hope that you all have enjoyed this short experience as much as I have!

12 comments:

  1. wowee...vegan newtons! Fig Newtons were always my mandatory road trip food when we went on family car trips. I still crave them whenever I'm on a long drive...actually I crave them way more often than that! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment, moonsword! ^^

      Delete
  2. These aren't even in the same category as fig newtons- Your cookies look so much better! Besides, anything that vibrantly green has got to be fun to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thank you very much, Hannah. They were very fun to eat! ^^

      Delete
  3. I am so intrigued by the golden milk! I've put the other spices in milk before but never turmeric...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen. I make it for my mother once in a while (with turmeric) for her joints.

      Delete
  4. I love your new page! I never really had fig newtons growing up, but I really like the juice sweetened ones I've found in healthfood stores. Yours look much yummier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, GiGi! ^^ Those juice-sweetened ones sound quite interesting!

      Delete
  5. Your Page Rocks!!!
    I love the bright green of these treats, I'll give them a try for me and the girls...the golden milk looks super right up my alley though!!; I betcha its supper yummy hot!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, berrygirl! ^^ I appreciate it - and it does sound great warm for the cold nights as well!

      Delete
  6. Mmmmm my mouth is watering, yum yum. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! Hope you have a great weekend! ^^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...