Sunday, August 19, 2012

Guest Post: By Susmitha Subbaraju

Susmitha is perhaps one of the friendliest people that I have encountered online and has accepted me into the group "Vegan Temptivists" on Facebook, which is truly an honor - especially since she is my first guest blogger! She is an extremely talented artist in practically all of the mediums and makes amazingly mouth-watering recipes. Her blog, http://blog.veganosaurus.com/ is full of delicious, stunning and unique recipes - she isn't afraid to veganize and is most definitely outgoing when it comes to the things that she loves. Check her out because you won't regret it! ^^

---
Before I became vegan, 9 years ago, I was never interested in baking and barely interested in cooking. But turning vegan opened up a whole new world of ingredients and possibilities to me and I couldn't help but be inspired to get creative in my kitchen. That's when the baking bug bit me and ever since then there's been no looking back.
Since I'm vegan for ethical reasons, for the longest time I had the attitude that I'd rather use a few less than healthy ingredients in my baking (all purpose flour, processed oils etc...) than compromise on the taste and texture of the finished goodie. My main focus was to have people taste my cakes and pastries and be blown away by the deliciousness of vegan desserts.

When my more health inclined vegan friends spoke of using date syrup or whole wheat flour in their cakes, I used to turn up my nose and say, "those healthy cakes won't impress non-vegans into turning vegan so what's the point?" I even tasted a few of those healthy cakes and cookies with an open mind but was left unimpressed which further strengthened my belief that good cakes had to be made of all purpose flour and contain a generous amount of oil.

Then a few months ago, my friend Arun kicked that attitude right out of me by bringing this amaaaazing chocolate cake to our monthly Vegan Bengaluru potluck. I thoroughly enjoyed it. He told me that it contained absolutely no oil, was made of whole wheat flour and was made without an oven! My jaw would've dropped hearing that last bit except that I was busy gobbling up the cake.

Since I associate Bou Shin's blog with healthy eating as much as the cute bentos, I figured a healthy cake recipe would be perfect for my guest post here. :)

I made a bunch of changes to Arun's original recipe based on the ingredients I had at home.




(Here's my version of the Healthy Chocolate Cake recipe)

  • 1 1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 C Jaggery Powder (can use Sugar if you can't find jaggery but it's less healthier that way)
  • 1/3 C Cocoa Powder
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 2 Small Mashed Bananas + 2 tsp Flax Seed Powder+ 1/4 C Water (whipped together for a few minutes)
  • 3 tsp Lime Juice
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 C Water
  • 1/2 C Walnuts - broken into little pieces
  • 2 Small Mashed Bananas + 2 tsp Flax Seed Powder+ 1/4 C Water (whipped together for a few minutes)

(Directions)
  • Bring 3 to 4 C of water to boil in a large pan/pot/steamer (the baking dish should easily fit inside).
  • Line a baking dish with aluminum foil and lightly grease with a few drops of olive oil.
  • Mix dry ingredients (except sweetener and walnuts) and sieve a few times to make the flour airy.
  • Mix jaggery/sugar with wet ingredients and whip for a few minutes to create air bubbles.
  • Mix wet and dry ingredients quickly until there are no large lumps (do not over mix).
  • Stir in the walnuts and transfer to baking dish.
  • Place an upside down the plate or bowl inside the steamer pot (to add height) and place the baking dish inside it.
  • Cover the pot and steam on medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
  • Uncover and continue steaming for another 15 minutes.
  • Remove the baking dish from the pot and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
  • Gently lift the cake along with the foil out of the dish and place on a cooling rack.
  • After the cake has cooled completely, peel off the foil.
  • Slice and serve plain or with melted chocolate poured over it.
  • Enjoy!





Thanks Bou Shin for having me over on your blog.

10 comments:

  1. This chocolate cake looks so moist and dense--I can't believe it's vegan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, a lot of amazing foods can be made/are vegan. Thanks for commenting, kyleen! ^^

      Delete
  2. Thank you for hosting me here as your first guest blogger, Bou. And for your kind words about me.
    - Susmitha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing such a wonderful post. ^^ I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. I think it's interesting when you said that being vegan opened up a whole new world of ingredients. So many non-vegans would scratch their head at that, but I totally agree with you! What's jaggery powder and where do we find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi blessedmama, I'll answer this as best as possible. ^^

      Jaggery is sort of like raw sugar, and you should be able to find it in an Indian or South American market.

      For more info you can check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery

      Have a great day, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Bou has already answered your question well, blessedmama. I'd just like to add that jaggery is a widely used ingredient in Indian cuisine. Especially in my state, Karnataka's cuisine. It is a slightly different process than making sugar and it has a sort of molasses like taste.

      Delete
  4. yummers! love this banana chocolate steamed cake. i think all cakes should be chocolate! i made a similar one a few days back. and am not eating the whole 9 inch cake all by myself. 2 large pieces a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I agree - with just a little bit of peanut butter on the side. ^^;

      Sadly I don't think I have that willpower for only two pieces, I can eat a lot! Heh, thanks for commenting Richa!

      Delete
  5. Yep, some of those healthy cakes do impress non-vegans :) Great post Bou, and fantastic friendly guest. The addition of lime is quite interesting too. Now I need a cooker.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...