Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tofu Stir-Fry w/Spicy Garlic Sauce (Gluten-Free Option, Sugar-Free Option)



This was incredibly fun to make and I've only made it once before when I tried to figure out one of the sauces for my favorite "treat", stir-fried tofu in garlic sauce. Once a month or so, my family and I will get American-style Chinese takeout and this is my go-to dish aside from dumplings, desserts and steamed veggies. It is quite fattening so I won't eat it often, but it is especially addicting with the conflicting flavors and textures...and probably because I make it extra-spicy. You've probably had it before, and every restaurant has a slightly variating style - so I'm going to put my own little "Shin-Spin" on things. Whatever veggies you have on hand will do, so I'll list what I put in my stir-fry later.



(Spicy Garlic Sauce Ingredients)

  • 1 & 1/2 tbl Rice Vinegar
  • 2 & 1/2 tbl Rice Wine Vinegar
  • 2 tsp Raw Sugar or Stevia (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp Good Sesame Oil (retains both taste and smell)
  • 1 tbl Veggie Oil
  • 2 tbl Good Soy Sauce or Tamari
  • 1/2 tsp Sriracha
  • 5 Crushed & Minced Garlic Cloves
  • 1 pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 tsp Cornstarch
  • 2 tbl Water

(Directions)
  • First, mix the water with the cornstarch.
  • Saute your minced and crushed garlic in the veggie oil until softened and is lighter in color slightly.
  • Add in your vinegars, soy sauce, and oil. Stir and let bubble
  • Squirt in your sriracha and sugar, add a bit of pepper flakes and wait about 15 seconds.
  • Mix in the slurry of cornstarch and water, then stir it in until it has thickened to your liking.
  • Quickly coat your preferred veggies in this addictively spicy sauce and serve over a nice bed of rice.
  • Enjoy!

My personal stir-fry contained mung bean sprouts, brocolli sprouts, carrots, baby corn, pan-fried tofu, steamed mushrooms, sweet peas, green bell pepper and broccoli. Since the garlic sauce is so flavorful and has a lot of sodium, I wouldn't suggest adding salt or anything else to the other ingredients so to keep it healthier.

11 comments:

  1. Very nicely done with the photo - looks delicious! The sauce has sriracha in it, so I will definitely be giving it a whirl myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, veggiebentolove - I really appreciate t! ^^ And I hope that you like it!

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! I love these types of meals! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shin-spin! Love it! This sauce sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious!! I love spicy things too. *slurp*

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sauce is perfect...I dig garlic and do very very little oil! Thanx for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...