Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Today Is My Blogiversary!

Tea sandwiches inspired by "shopping mum".

Can you believe it? I've been here for exactly one year today and I've met so many wonderful people! I've been inspired by hundreds and encouraged by many to continue going and I couldn't be happier. When I first started this blog I was really adamant on trying to blog at least once a week and I wrote down whatever came to me. When I first started, I used a cell phone camera for most of my pictures and it wasn't until a few months later that I realized how horrid they looked. I used a lot of high fat foods, all-purpose flour and other things that weren't the greatest for the body. Now I know better and know the wonders of whole wheat and eating a totally nutritionally balanced diet, later when I came upon the Adventures in Bento Making by Crystal Watanabe, I was amazed. Although she is far from being vegan or even vegetarian, she inspired me to do something for the vegans and vegetarians. I wanted to see everyone being able to use egg sheets, "kamaboko" and "eggs" to create great bentos for themselves and their family.

I later came upon Sherimiya from Happy Little Bento and that helped transform what I did a bit as well, making me look at my bentos to see if they are both nutritionally and color-wise balanced. When I really started to establish myself and my creativity, I came upon the blogs of Nami, LiaJennSue, Susan Voisin and Natakiya and realized just how well I was doing from their comments. It was a big deal seeing anyone reply or comment on my blog, and to ever see repeat commenters and such friendly people such as Nami - I felt so happy and blessed. In the food community I felt so welcome and excited with trying new recipes, finding new blogs and seeing people who felt the same way about my blog.

The "bento community" was equally welcome and in a sense it kind of helped open me up to even more new things and helped me even learn with food styling (although I still have a long way to go with everyone. And the vegan community was also so very happy and warming and all of those that have seen my blog have made me feel the best I ever had over the internet. So with that said, I would like to thank Hannah Kaminsky of BitterSweet for inspiring me (and commenting every so often), Joanne for commenting and encouraging me, Jacqueline and Marina for encouraging me a while ago and giving me my first award.  I like to thank every single person who has ever commented or encouraged me, including my family and friends - you guys really helped me out when I started this and without you, this blog would have never existed as the way it is today. Finally, I would like to thank Teenuja for being one of my first "taste-testers" on my oat milk yogurt and showing a lot of people my blog, all of the guys from Kipper Digital for being awesome and showing off my bento, and Allfreecopycatrecipes for showing off my homemade cinnamon toast crunch! And with that said, I will be posting my most popular (and some embarrassing) posts so that we can remember all that happened within just one year.


My First Post:
First Time


My First Bento:
Its'a Bento!


When I made a bento for KipperDigital:
Paul and Percy Bento

My First Guestpost:
On Natakiya's Site (BentoAnarchy)


If you're new at starting a blog - don't be afraid to ask for help and always keep trying. Take a break when you need to and don't stress out too much. Just remember - you have to be you when you make a blog. Good luck!

Now a few questions for you - What do you think about my blog and what could I improve about it? When is your blog's anniversary coming up and what will you do to celebrate it? ^^ I hope you enjoyed all this time with me - and there will be much more to come!

26 comments:

  1. Well...I am a newbie to your blog but I already love it! Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your blog-versary. Your bentos are too cute, here's to another great year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, well i caught your blog just in time!! Happy bloggerversary. And now i can catch up. yea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it looks like you did Cotter Crunch - thanks! ^^

      Delete
  4. Happy blogiversary, it a milestone! Those kitties are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!! That is so exciting! Your first post was so fun to see! It's fun to see how blogs change over time. You've got a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blogiversary! Thank you for your comment on my post over at Crackers on the Couch. I just celebrated my one year blogiversary in November! You have come a long way! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke - congrats on your blogiversary! ^^

      Delete
  7. I am pretty new to your blog and so far I'm just enjoying it-I don't have any real suggestions.
    Congrats on your one year!
    Mine happened last October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen! ^^ And congrats on your blogiversary as well!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your first blogiversary! I'm almost there... In about a month, my blog will be turning one too.
    The Hello Kittys are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Kyleen! ^^ And congrats on your (soon to be) first blogiversary!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your blogiversary! How cute are those Hello Kitties?? Your healthy meals inspire me! Keep on bloggin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh AikoVenus, big congrats on one year of making bento here! How exciting! Doesn't the time fly by? I was exactly like you-- taking those first unflattering pictures and not knowing a thing about lighting at all. I keep all those pics on my flickrstream because I think it's important to remember how far you've come. And also because people still look at those early photos and they can envision themselves making those bento very easily. Plus I like to see the evolution. I got inspiration from the bento community just like you, and I'm so honored that you mention me in particular, when there are so many wonderful bentomakers out there. I agree with you that the worldwide bento friends we've made are the best. I mean, the friendliest, most helpful, most full of information and always willing to offer suggestions and encouragement. I am forever indebted to them for making me a better bento-er and I'm so happy to make ever more and more friends with the passing days and months and years.
    So happy to have "met" you too Aiko! And so glad for you upon reaching this milestone! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on all of this, Sheri - thank you for commenting and the congrats! ^^

      Delete
  11. Happy blog birthday! The blogging community really is great, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah - and I agree, it is a great community! ^^

      Delete
  12. Happy 1st Blog Anniversary Shin!
    It has been a joy for me to see your bento creations all this time. Thanks a lot for mention! I truly appreciate the friendship and all supports from our bento community. I hope you will keep making bento and share it with all of us (^.^)
    Jia you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the congrats and encouragement, Lia! ^^ I will most definitely keep going!

      Delete
  13. Congrats on your blogoversary! Time does fly by when you are blogging. Preparing bento is a creative as well as healthy way to go! Love the hello kitties.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Tina! ^^ I agree! Have a great day!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...