Sunday, October 7, 2012

Vegan Hamburger Helper (Low-Fat)

 

 
 

I'll be honest, one of my favorite meals as a kid was Hamburger helper - it was quick, easy and cheap to buy. Now that I'm more all around health conscious I don't see the need to go back there again, but with a slightly more healthier (in some way) version I've got it all together. You've got the creamy low-fat cheeze, a bit of zing from mustard and the nice alternating textures between noodles and your preffered "beef". Its a great meal that you can make ahead, freeze and then just pop in an oven or microwave later.




(Vegan Hamburger Helper Ingredients)

  • 1 C. of Soy or Rice Milk
  • 1 tbl. Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 C. Nutritional Yeast (half that if powdery)
  • 2 tbl. Corn or Tapioca Starch
  • Pinch of Salt, Mustard Powder and Paprika
  • 1 tbl. Cold Water
  • Veg. Ground Beef and Elbow Macaroni

(Vegan Hamburger Helper Directions)
  • Heat your milk and add in your nutritional yeast and garlic powder, whisk together as you make a slurry of your starches and cold water.
  • Add your salt and slurry into the boiling mixture and whisk. Turn off heat and then fold in your ground beef as you boil your noodles.
  • Fold your noodles into the cheeze and veg. beef and serve warm.
  • Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. How much of each of the veg ground beef and pre-cooked macaroni do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say 1/2 - 1 cup of Macaroni noodles and about 1/4th of a cup of veg. ground beef.

      Thanks for asking! ^^

      Delete
  2. I was never really into Hamburger Helper growing up but this looks amazing!


    www.lorienmahay.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will admit it, I loved hamburger helper. Even after my daughter grew up I still made it for myself. It was just so easy, filling, and reminded me of being a kid. Who can resist that after a long day at work? I try to eat responsibility now but still every so often I need something like this just because it feels like a cozy, comforting meal. Can’t wait to try your recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree in every way - its just so comforting to have something like this.

      Thank you very much! ^^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...