Sunday, June 10, 2012

Product Review: 8th Continent Soymilk Original & Vanilla (With Recipe)




Photos courtesy of www.8thcontinent.com/

I'm used to other soymilks but decided to try this one about a year ago when there were no other options at the store. I felt that the packaging was very friendly and looked as if a very happy child had drawn the cover - otherwise it was simple white packaging. It also states the common notice that soy protein may have the ability to lower blood pressure and the risk of heart disease and has a common top to open the package through. In front it states that it is both lactose and gluten-free, so if you've ever had to worry about either in your soymilks then this may be a better choice for you.

The first of the two soymilks that I had tried was "8th Continent Soymilk Original" and when smelling the container it smelled more so like Silly Putty or Playdoh had been rolled through it and there was a bit carried over. I was a bit hesitant with the initial smell-test, but I poured it into a glass and found that there was still a hint of that taste, although very faint. It was not a very invigorating or inviting taste but I found that it was "milky" afterwards, making it somewhat better. The mouth feel of it, however, felt as if someone had just combined a powder with water and it didn't completely mix because on the top it was very smooth and nice but in the middle it got a bit watery and then proceeded onto chalky.

When combined with vinegar (or any other acids) I found that it curdled immediately, which is a good sign for whenever you're baking or using vegan buttermilk. It did not remix with any of the liquid at floated around on the top, which made it look quite gross although it is what is mostly expected from curdled soymilk. Although other soymilks work similarly when curdled, the texture and mouth feel of this soymilk made it so that it was a bit slick. Taking a look at the ingredients list, it looks like there may be an answer as to why it feels a bit oily and powdery - Soybean Oil and Soy Protein are separate on the ingredients list, while normally I would assume that they're simply doing this as soybeans do contain their own oils but that seemed to be an odd thing to place on such a list. Essentially, from as far as I can tell, they're mixing two different components from the same plant with water and you're receiving something that tastes a bit like baby formula and reacts like it too. 

8th Continent Soymilk in Vanilla has the same reaction and base flavor although the vanilla makes it a bit easier to drink it also seems to heighten the scent of it. When it comes to baking, both react\ quite well with whatever you're using and you only really taste 1% of it, while providing some good flavor and moisture. Infact, I've used it for my (extremely) simple pancake recipes below - you be the judge.



8th Continent Pancake Recipe:
1 cup of Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup of All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp of Baking Powder
1/4 tsp of Baking Soda
2 & 1/2 tsp Stevia
1 tsp Raw Sugar

1/2 cup of 8th Continent Buttermilk
Water to thin

Combine your dry, then fold in your wet about 10 times, then let the mixture rest, scoop out in 1/4 cups and cook on low-heat with a low-fat spray. This recipe makes about four pancakes so it is equal to two general servings.

[                   (Cal)  (Carbs) (Fat) (Prot.)
<><>
Total:
556
    98      
4   
    28

Per Serving:
258
   49
2
    14]


So, here are my ratings for this edible product.

Packaging: 3/5

Taste: 2/5

Smell: 1/5

Mouth Feel: 1/5

Curdling: 4/5

Baking: 3/5

--
Now, every soy milk is different, so my first reaction may not be the reaction of yours and I do still buy this soy milk when absolutely necessary and have become used to the taste, but it would most definitely would not be my first choice or suggestion for you.

To enjoy or not to enjoy, that is the question!

4 comments:

  1. Intriguing one, I would have been repulsed by the smell as well too. I am always weary of trying new soy milk. I don't actually consume soymilk that much ever since I've replaced with oatmilk just that oatmilk doesn't curdle very well but it does have the 'glue-factor' if that's what's required in a recipe. Well I don't get this brand of soymilk here, so won't be using it! hehe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I read really fast so reading that last sentence made me really laugh. ^^ I like oatmilk but I'm not an fan of drinking it, and I agree with you on the soymilk - its really hard to get onto another one!

      Delete
  2. My daughter has to drink soymilk and absolutely loves this brand. And your assumption about the packaging is spot on! They had a children's sun contest and so the different pictures on each flavor are actually children's drawings! I'm not sure what your past experience is with soymilk, but with this brand, shaking the milk is absolutely essential to the texture and overall satisfaction of the milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting, Anonymous - thanks for telling me! I think I'll try shaking this soymilk a bit more when I use it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...