It may seem odd, but this cake is amazing - it smells like a pumpkin or sweet potato pie and has a similar texture as well. Although this cake is frosted, thanks to a high juice content it is more like a Chinese steamed cake, so feel free to replace some of it with non-dairy milk. Additional chocolate chips for pizazz are welcome, although not necessary with such a rich and creamy coconut and pandan frosting. Surprise everyone with this lovely treat!
What's the weirdest food you've ever created?
(Wacky Watermelon Cake Ingredients)
(Wacky Watermelon Cake Directions)
- 2 & 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1+ cup of Raw or Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp of Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- 1/2 cup of Floured-Chocolate Chips (optional)
- 1 cup of Watermelon Juice
- 1/2 cup of Coconut Yogurt
- Mix your dry ingredients first, then fold in your wet and your chips (if you have them) just until incorporated into a thick batter.
- Pour in a greased pan lined with parchment paper. Tap lightly on a hard surface about 20 times. Then, bake at 375 for about 40 minutes or until cooked.
(Coconut Frosting Ingredients)
- 2 cups of Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Cream of Coconut
- 1 tsp of Vanilla
- 2 tsp of Pandan Extract (optional)
(Coconut Frosting Directions)
- Cream everything together. If it is not thin enough (it should be quite thick with spreadability) then you can spoon in some water, 1/4 tsp at a time until it's to your liking.
- Wait for the cake to cool, reserve some frosting for later decoration and ice as you like.
* Cream of Coconut is essentially a syrupy and sugar-filled coconut cream. They are not totally interchangeable due to stickiness, but it can work.